Pre-departure and Arrivals Guide

Your Journey to Lincoln

We cannot wait to welcome you to our student community and for you to experience what makes Lincoln a special place to live and learn.

On this page, you can find out more information to help you prepare for your journey to the UK and to campus, alongside advice and tips on settling in during your first few weeks as a student.

We encourage you to read the information on this page carefully before you travel to campus and to let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to meeting you soon.

Planning Your Arrival

Packing Advice and Guidance

As part of your preparations for travelling to the UK, you will need to think carefully about what to pack in your suitcase and what to bring with you. It is also important to think about what is necessary, as the space in your suitcase will be limited and it may be easier to buy items such as toiletries and cooking equipment when you arrive in Lincoln.

As part of your hand luggage, it is important that you include essential documents which you maybe asked to provide at the border when you arrive in the UK. These include:

  • Your offer letter from the University of Lincoln
  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from the University of Lincoln
  • The letter you received when your visa was issued by UKVI
  • Your original academic and English language qualification certificates. Please ensure you also bring with you a certified translation if the original documents are not in English
  • Tuberculosis (TB) test certificate or other medical certificates (where applicable)
  • Proof of any advance fees you have paid to the University of Lincoln, any sponsorship letters and financial proof of being able to support yourself
  • Your birth certificate and marriage certificate (where applicable)
  • Proof of address in your home country and your accommodation in Lincoln

There are certain goods that passengers are not allowed to bring into the UK. Detailed information regarding what you can and cannot bring to the UK can be found on the UK Government website.


When to Arrive

May 2024 Intake 

If you are joining a Master’s degree programme at the University of Lincoln in May 2024 you will need to arrive on campus before Welcome Week begins on Monday 20 May.

Your programme induction will take place during Welcome Week and there will be a number of compulsory sessions that you will need to attend on campus. There will also be a variety of optional talks, activities, and events, to help you connect with fellow students and settle in at Lincoln.

September 2024 Intake

Details about September 2024 Welcome Week will be released later in the year.

Arriving in the UK and Travelling to Lincoln

When you arrive in the UK, you will need to show your identity document (such as a passport) and any additional documentation that is requested at border control. To find out more information regarding the documents that you may need to present and what to expect when you arrive in the UK, please visit the UK Government website.

To help you plan your journey to Lincoln we recommend visiting our travelling to Lincoln page. The page includes lots of helpful information regarding travel by air, road and by train. The page also contains important maps of the city of Lincoln and our campus.

Moving into your Accommodation

Before you Arrive
Before you travel to the UK you must ensure you have arranged suitable accommodation and that you are able to move into your room when you arrive. Arranging your accommodation prior to travelling to the UK is very important, as finding accommodation on the day you arrive could be very expensive, and there may not be any availability nearby campus.

We recommend contacting your accommodation provider before you begin your journey to let them know your expected arrival time, and to discuss how to collect your keys. You should also ask your accommodation provider to confirm what items are in your room. This will help you to plan ahead and to create a list of essential items you may need to buy when you arrive, such as a duvet or cutlery etc.

Living Away from Campus
If you are planning to live outside of campus, you will need to research how you will travel to the University on a regular basis and how much this will cost. This is important as your timetable may include classes that you must attend on campus up to five days each week.

If you hold a Student Visa, having a high level of attendance and engagement is very important and you will be expected to take part in all timetabled classes. Failure to maintain a high level of attendance will place your visa at risk and could also affect your eligibility to apply for the Graduate Route at the end of your course.

Further information regarding privately rented accommodation and living away from campus can be found here.

Enrolment and Accessing Your Timetable

Before you can access your University of Lincoln timetable and attend classes, you must have successfully completed the enrolment process. Students must complete all stages of the enrolment process before they are officially registered as a University of Lincoln student.


Welcome Week

Our Welcome Week site is designed to provide all of the essential information you need to know, to help you prepare for your first few weeks at University. This includes an overview of the exciting events taking place, your Welcome Week timetable, and a range of helpful information about enrolment. More information will be available shortly.

Your First Few Weeks

Lincoln is a great place to live and study and we cannot wait for you to explore your new home. From what you can do in Welcome Week and getting to know Lincoln to joining clubs and societies, registering with a GP, and accessing support, there are lots to consider when you first arrive. To help you prepare, Diana shares her experience of settling into life in Lincoln and what to expect.

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit

If you require a visa to study in the UK you may need to obtain a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You must collect your BRP from the Post Office you selected on your visa application form. If you do not collect your BRP you may have to pay a fine and/or your visa may be cancelled. Your letter from the Home Office should tell you when your BRP will be ready for collection. 

You should collect your BRP:

  • before your vignette expires or
  • within 10 days of arriving in the UK

whichever is later.

Go to the Post Office website and enter the postcode. You do not have to make an appointment to collect your BRP. If you arrive at the University in September there will be student ambassadors who can guide you to the Post Office in Lincoln.

For more information, including a list of the documents you will need to take when collecting your BRP from the post office, visit the website.

If you have a question about the BRP or any other immigration issues, contact the International Advice Team (The International Advice Team are based in the Student Support Centre). 

Useful Information

BRP collection: Please see the Google map to find the nearest Post Office.

Please note that students who are required to self-isolate following travel must complete this period before collecting their BRP card. The Post Office are keeping BRP cards for longer to allow students to complete their self-isolation first. If your BRP card is not at the Post Office, please do not worry. You can email who will be able to help you.

Opening a Bank Account

We have provided some general guidance below to help you with opening a bank account in the UK. It is advisable to check in your home country whether your current bank card can be used in the UK, or whether you can apply for a card that can be used while you are waiting to open a new UK bank account. 

How to Apply for a UK Bank Account

The documents you need to open a bank account may vary depending on which bank you decide to open an account with, however usually you will be expected to provide:

  • your passport
  • your visa (if relevant)
  • proof of address in the UK and in your home country
  • bank letter from the University of Lincoln confirming you are a student

How to get a Bank Letter

Please submit a request for a Bank Letter Certificate of Study online through your OneUni account. You will find the Student Support Letter Request option on the ‘support’ tab. Please ensure your Permanent Home and Term Time addresses are correct on your OneUni account as these are the addresses which will show on your letter(s).

Banks in Lincoln         

There are a variety of banks in the UK to choose from, each offering a range of services. Before you apply for a bank account use the internet to check:

  • which UK banks have branches in Lincoln
  • which bank account will be most suitable for you
  • which banks can produce statements in the format required by the Home Office – not all banks do this and you will need these if you plan to extend your visa. If you need advice regarding bank statements that are required when extending your visa contact the International Advice Team in the Student Support Centre

Banking Terminology

Here are a few banking terms and their definitions to help you:

  • ID – Identity
  • Cash Card – allows you to access your money 24 hours a day using a cashpoint
  • Debit Card – allows you to withdraw cash from your account as well as use your card to pay in shops, restaurants and online
  • Standing Order – an instruction by a bank’s customer to the bank, to pay an amount of money regularly to another account (for example, you may be asked to set up a standing order to pay your rent)
  • Direct Debit – a payment arranged by the organisation which leaves the account with the express agreement of the account holder
  • Automated Credit Transfer – a direct payment into your bank account, instead of by cash or cheque
  • Overdraft – an agreed extension of credit when your account reaches zero
Registering with a Doctor

After arriving in the UK, you should register with a local doctor (known as a 'GP' or General Practitioner) as soon as possible. Students have a choice of several different GP surgeries within Lincoln city centre, however many students choose to register with our on-campus Health Centre.

When registering with a GP surgery, you will need to take the following documents with you:

  • Personal Identification (passport)
  • Immigration documents
  • Proof of address with your name and term-time address on it (a household bill or tenancy agreement)
  • Medical card (if you have one)
  • List of current medications

GP surgeries with online registration may ask you to produce these documents before they can complete your registration.

After registering, you may be asked to see a doctor or nurse practitioner straight away. This is an initial health check and a chance for you to meet your GP or Nurse Practitioner. This is a good time to discuss any medical conditions you have or any current medication you are taking. 

Further information regarding accessing health care services as an international student can be found by visiting the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

The Immigration Health Surcharge

Individuals who hold a visa may be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) in order to be eligible to access healthcare in the UK. This is done as part of the visa application form. If you are unsure if you are eligible for healthcare in the UK, we recommend you contact the University’s International Advice team.

Dental Care (Teeth)

Once you have registered with a GP you can also register with an NHS dentist. Further information regarding accessing dental care as an international student can be found by visiting the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

Optical Care (Eyes) 

In the UK, eye care is provided by opticians. To purchase spectacles or contact lenses you will need a British prescription, which you get from the optician following a sight test. Sight tests can be arranged by contacting the optician directly. The cost of frames, lenses and contact lenses varies. Visit the UKCISA website for information about eye tests and eye care provided in the UK. 

Health Care Mobile App

You may find it helpful to download the ‘ESC (Expert Self Care) Student’ health app to your mobile. This app has developed by medical doctors, together with students. You can find answers to questions about:

  • Emergencies – learning the truth about life-threatening illnesses and how to give basic first aid
  • General ill health – how to deal with sleep problems, feeling stressed, and constant fatigue
  • Mental health – finding out what to do when feeling low or anxious, self-harming or worried about drinking too much alcohol
  • Common ailments – headaches, finding out how to treat spots, and managing common aches and pains
  • Navigating health services – what to do next and when to see a pharmacist, nurse or doctor.
Accessing Online Resources

During the first few weeks of University, you may be required to use new online systems for the first time.

Our helpful ICT guides can provide support with everything from understanding multi-factor authentication and accessing your University email address, to setting up a UK phone number and learning how to use Office 365, Microsoft Teams, and OneDrive.

Connect With Us on Social Media

Facebook     X     Instagram

Contact Us

International Enquiries Team

International Enquiry Form 

Telephone: +44 (0)1522 308108

WhatsApp: +44 7868 089210