Our Social Work Degree Apprenticeship aims to prepare graduates for working as qualified social workers in a varied, complex, and challenging profession with individuals, families, and communities across all fields of social work and in all social work settings.
The School of Health and Social Care works with employers to provide employees with the opportunity to study for an undergraduate Social Work degree through an apprenticeship route. Funded by the Government and your employer, the apprenticeship combines work-based learning and education for social work, which upon successful completion leads to a degree and professional recognition, enabling you to register as a social worker with Social Work England.
The programme is suitable for new and existing social care staff who are responsible for delivering direct services and who have the potential to take on greater challenges and responsibility as qualified social workers.
The programme aims to enable employers to:
The Social Work Degree Apprenticeship is a three-year (36 months/45 week working year) practice-based programme combining learning and development through academic study and through practice through the workplace and alternative practice placements. The programme aims to develop your awareness of the knowledge, theories, skills, and values for professional practice as a social worker and applying professional skills and knowledge within a work-based context.
Apprentices learn through:
Students study one day a week at the University with one protected learning day and three practice days per week.
Social Work: Developing Self
Social Work: Developing Others
Social Work: Developing Leadership
Students are supported in their learning and development by a range of people with expertise in social work, including a teaching team who have extensive experience as academics and of working in social work agencies and practice settings as senior worker. A range of other support includes a dedicated placement team, to support placements; service users, carers and other professionals to share their experiences and expertise; a dedicated Subject Librarian; Student Support and Wellbeing Service, for access to services and information. In addition, students are supported by:
If you wish to undertake this degree you will need an employer who can support your application as the course can be funded through government co-funding or the apprenticeship levy.
|Level||Duration||Programme||Band Maximum /Charge|
|6||3 years||Degree Apprenticeship - underpinned by BSc (Hons)||£23,000|
If you are an organisation with a wage bill of £3 million pounds or more you will pay a small levy on any amount above that level. You can use that resulting funds to pay 100% of the course fees for any degree apprenticeships.
From April 2019 for new apprentices starting a programme non-levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with government - this is called ‘co-investment’. You will now pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum. If you are an employer with less than 50 employees and the Apprentice has been in the care of the local authority, meeting certain criteria, and/or has an Educational and Health Plan, you may be eligible for full costs.
For further information on the School of Health and Social Care’s Apprenticeship provision please contact Jenny Dagg email@example.com.
The programme is suitable for new and existing social care staff, who are responsible for delivering direct services and who have the potential to take on greater challenges and responsibility as qualified social workers. Candidates have to be employed over 30 hours a week in a relevant job role.
Applicants need their employer to agree to fund the course, either through government co-funding or the apprenticeship levy. Applicants also need to demonstrate their ability to study academic subjects at degree level, debate topics and issues, study independently as well as a member of a group, and successfully complete a range of assignments including researched essays and practical tests.
Applicants must also have the right to live and work in the UK and at least 50% of their normal working hours must be in England.
They will need Maths and English Level 2, one year of direct experience in social care, and a driving licence.