This statement along with the University’s Respect Charter and the University commitment, establishes the College of Social Science’s commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Our commitment is to actively promote an organisational culture where individual difference is appreciated, celebrated and respected, ensuring equitable and fair treatment for all regardless of a person’s characteristics; age, disability, sex, gender identity and expression, race, religion or belief (including lack thereof), sexual orientation, and/or marriage and civil partnerships, maternity and pregnancy.
As part of its commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, members of the College of Social Science will:
· Ensure all staff and students are provided with appropriate forums to discuss Equality, Diversity and Inclusion issues and are able to raise concerns.
· Foster a collaboration between staff and students in Equality, Diversity and Inclusion work in the college and institution that will uphold the university agenda of ‘One Community’.
· Work within the city and county to ensure all staff and students are treated equally, equitably and fairly especially when on placements.
· Demonstrate a visible senior leadership commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion matters.
· Explore and understand the role of intersectionality when addressing under-representation and barriers to achievement.
· Embed principles of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion practice throughout the college via our policies, tutorials, teaching methods and curriculum.
· Review and assess the impact of policies and practices for staff and students and take action towards improvement.
· Explicitly communicate our commitment to promote Equality, Diversity and Inclusion to staff, students and external contacts.
All individuals within the College of Social Science are expected to take personal responsibility for upholding this commitment through their behaviour and to promote equality, diversity and Inclusion in all aspects of their working environment and activities.