13th November 2009, 2:32pm
Signing will develop Lincoln School of Theology
Chad Varah House An agreement that will see the Lincoln School of Theology return to its original home on Steep Hill will be signed on Saturday 14 November in Lincoln Cathedral.

Four key institutions from the City: the University of Lincoln, Bishop Grosseteste University College, the Diocese of Lincoln and Lincoln Cathedral, will sign to secure the future development of the School.

The School of Theology was first established in Chad Varah House, Lincoln, in around 1876 and became one of the UK's major theological training centres until it closed in 1996. The School was re-established by the four institutions in 2004 and given time to establish itself and develop its programmes.

This latest agreement sees the School return to Chad Varah House where it will begin to expand its programmes and develop its research profile. The School will provide a wide range of theological training.

Dr Frances Mannsaker, Pro Vice Chancellor (University Development) at the University of Lincoln, said: "Lincoln has ancient traditions as a seat of theological learning and many of the country's bishops trained at Chad Varah House, so there's a real sense of excitement about it re-opening.
"All of the participants are proud of its achievements since its establishment and are committed to supporting its continuation, development and long-term growth.
"The School will also promote educational activities of benefit to the city and the communities of the region."

Revd Dr Mark Hocknull, who will be installed as the new Chancellor of Lincoln Cathedral on Saturday, will continue in his role as Head of the School.

The signing ceremony will take place from 5.30pm as part of Evensong in Lincoln Cathedral.
--Ends--