Main Administration Building - University of Lincoln

Adjusting to Life in Lincoln

Travelling around Lincoln

Lincoln is a compact city, most attractions and facilities are within walking distance of about 20 minutes from the University campus and most University accommodation sites, so you can get to most places for free.  For alternative options to walking, if you need to get somewhere quickly or further afield, see our guide below:


The University now has a Hire bike station on campus, where you can rent bikes for a short period such as 1 or 2 hours, or for the full day.  This is based near the LPAC (see campus map for exact location).  An annual membership is £20.  For further tariff details see Lincoln Hirebike.

You can find some great routes on the Visit Lincoln website to take you away from the urban centre, into the more rural suburbs of Lincoln:


Buses run from the bus station in the town centre on Melville Street. 

For full route details and timetables, visit


Please be aware that Taxis can be an expensive form of transport.  They may however be useful if you would like to stock up on your shopping from the supermarket in bulk.  Stay safe: always use a licensed taxi company and tell someone you trust where you are going and when you expect to arrive at your destination. Some taxi firms will send you a text when they arrive so you know which car has been assigned for your journey.  A list of taxi firms can be found on The Lincolnite website.


Students do not usually have a car whilst studying as this can be expensive to maintain. 

Driving in Lincoln can be difficult with its high traffic volume, narrow streets and expensive parking. Before driving any vehicle (car, motorbike, van etc.) in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), you should check that you meet all of the legal requirements which apply:

(a) To the driver and

(b) To the vehicle;

and that you are aware of the correct procedures, which may be very different from your home country.

It is a criminal offence to drive using a licence that is not valid in the UK. In addition, if you do so, your car insurance will be invalidated and you will be committing a further criminal offence of ‘driving without motor insurance.’

We would advise you to read the information UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) provide on their website regarding driving in the United Kingdom. They have lots of useful and important information which you should be aware of before you choose to drive in the United Kingdom.

The International Advice Team can help you understand the rules regarding driving in the UK. They have a drop-in everyday between 12pm-2pm in the Student Support Centre.

If you do decide to have a car, please be sure to review the Highway Code: ­­­­­­­­

Healthcare - Register with a Doctor

Dental Care

Once you have registered with a GP you can also register with an NHS dentist.  You can find a list of dental practices here.

Optical Care - Eyes

Eye care is provided by high street opticians. To purchase spectacles or contact lenses you will need a British eye prescription, which you get from the optician following a sight test. Sight tests can be arranged by contacting the optician directly. The cost of frames, lenses and contact lenses varies. Please note that family or friends visiting from abroad should take adequate health care insurance.  For a list of Opticians in Lincoln, please follow this link to the Lincolnshire Echo’s website:

Social Life in Lincoln

Starting a new life in a new place away from home can be daunting.  To help International students become a part of the student community the University of Lincoln’s Student Union (ULSU) runs the International Students Committee. By joining the International Students Committee you can meet other international students, diversify your knowledge of different countries and cultures and practice your English.

The ULSU also has a variety of different societies around sporting interests, hobbies and some particularly aimed at international students.  These include the Polish Society and Hong Kong Society, both of which aim to help students from Poland and Hong Kong integrate into life in Lincoln and make new friends.  To find out more about these and other societies see the ULSU website:

Community – Useful Information

The Student’s Union Welfare Officer, provides some good advice for getting along with neighbours when you move in to Lincoln:

The Students’ Union provides a list of community contacts which are good for anyone to know: